(I don't have a cool Allods guild screenie yet, so I'll leave you with this instead)

I'm not sure how many people read my blog, since a lot of the newer comments I've been getting are guest posts... but how are your all's experiences with the social aspect of Allods? Have you joined a guild? Did you start the game with a group of friends? Did you make some friends along the way? Or maybe, you're just a solo person?

What brought about this topic was a thread on the forums commenting on how they could not find enough players to run heroics... there would always be a certain class/role missing. Now I figured if you were in a guild, and you made friends while leveling up, you wouldn't be as likely to run into this problem when you hit cap. After all, this is a massively multiplayer experience - the social aspect of mmorpgs is half the fun! Feeling like you're part of a community tends to make players stick around longer than if they did not participate in such social endeavors.

You want to find a group/guild that...
  • Has similar goals as you. Don't join a pvp guild if you just want to explore the astral and leave it at that! Similarly, don't join a pve guild if you're going to leave after getting gear for pvp. ;)
  • Fits with your personality. This is really important because if you stay with a group you feel unwelcome with, or have personality conflicts with, it will only cause stress and drama for both sides.
  • Plays around the same time as you. Nothing is more annoying than joining a guild and realizing that no one is on when you are. It defeats the purpose of joining a guild to group up.
  • A reputation you agree with. How do their members act in zone chat? On the forums? If you join a guild who's proud of their unlawful rep, be prepared to receive random hate. On the other hand, if you join a guild known for its friendliness - don't start trolling zone chat.
A lot of people just join whatever guild they can find, or whatever guild looks good (on the outside) to them. Do some research and ask the guild's officers a few questions before you do - this way you'll waste less time and find a better fit! Most guilds offer trial periods, usually up to 2 weeks where you (and they) can decide whether or not you belong - take this time to observe their inner workings. I'm super picky so... I love guilds that state exactly what they look for, and I love officers that take the time to answer all of my questions. :)

7 Responses so far.

  1. I think one of the problems with guilds in Allods is the fact that there are no guild tags visible. On League side guilds seem pretty invisible.

    I generally play with people I know so we'll be forming a friends and family guild once we get enough people involved.

  2. Duet says:

    I think I read somewhere that this is getting added in a patch, I'm not sure though. But yeah, it would make things a lot better / more interesting if guild names and tabards could be displayed.

  3. Hi again Duet!

    We're just letting you know that your blog was featured on our website! We hope you keep contributing positively to the community. Feel free to check out the news post here: http://allods.gpotato.com/news/2010/04/18/allods-online-fan-shoutout/

    Thanks again!

    The Allods Team

  4. Duet says:

    Haha it's almost creepy (in a good way) how the Allods team is watching over our blogs... :D But yes I did see! And thanks for the shout out, I can already sense more people stopping by. :)

  5. Duet - if you want to get a handle on your blog visitors you should take a look at google analytics. It's relatively easy to get up and running and provides an insane amount of detail on site traffic.

  6. Unknown says:

    Well, I'm lucky in that I'm already part of a cross-game gaming community that has a guild in Allods, problem is, I have to get to level 20 to apply, I'm level 6, and the guild is getting filled. I love being in a guild, one of the main sticking points I had that made me leave Runes of Magic was guild beuracracy and inactivity.

  7. Duet says:

    Hmm I'll check out google analytics, thanks for the suggestion. :D

    @Andy - I'm sure you'll reach 20 in no time. :) Is this guild TSW by any chance? I personally find level restrictions annoying unless they are a pure endgame guild, because it doesn't really say much about the player. Guilds wouldn't have as big of a "full" problem if they filtered by other means. But with the amount of new players who quit before 20, it's kind of understandable.

Leave a Reply