Making speedy progress, I'm actually halfway through level 25 now. :) I spent a good hour grinding out about 40% of a level, then grouped up with a player I met in Dead Sea and knocked out about 10 quests. Fortunately, we didn't run into many league players! But lots of thanks to Teggycon the summoner for helping me with my quests even though he had already finished them.

Anyways, grinding is not bad at all on Allods! And at times I would rather do that then die repeatedly to level-??s with war banners. This is how I grind:
  1. A good pace for me is having mind link / mental twin up every time I kill a mob, unless I know it does not hit hard (does not get me below 75% by the time it dies). If it takes longer than that, it's not worth it. If it dies quicker but doesn't hurt, I will use twin every other mob. For the mobs that I don't link, I use mental pulse to preserve some hp and buy some time.
  2. My spell rotation, after setting up ML / twin, is mindfire -> choke -> psi shock til dead. If it takes more than 2 psi shocks after choke for the mob to die, it takes too long to kill and is not worth it. Ideally it will die after choke.
  3. I have little if any downtime, usually I will heal spam with Mental Cleansing and then Trance to get rid of overload (saves money on food!). With the gear from Lab13, AT, and rookie pvp rank, I have enough faith that my heals hit for 600-1k.
  4. The extra xp while flagged helps immensely, I would rather pick a safe spot + flag up than a potentially dangerous spot + flag down. At 24 the difference between flag/unflag on a similar level mob was around 20xp per kill. Mobs only give 70 (unflag) and 90 (flagged) so getting an extra 20xp helps a lot in the long run when it comes to grinding lots and lots of mobs!
  5. To keep my sanity intact, I never grind for more than 1.5 hours at max.
Note: There is no particularly good reason to grind on mobs higher than your level, unless you find them easy or convenient. For me, at 24, the difference between a same level and a mob 1-2 levels higher was less than 10xp.

The map below is an approximation of spawn areas, and this guide is optimized for psionicists - some mobs might be better over others for physical dps classes, etc.

  • Groaning Banshees (lvl 23): Just northeast (more east) of the Imperial Camp. They have low hp pools and thus die quickly. I personally did not spend a lot of time here since their AoE has a big range and can cancel choke easily (and I'm too lazy to run out of the way every time), and their fear is an annoying interruption.
  • Spiders (lvl 23 - best for this lvl): Just north of the banshees, these die really fast and won't interrupt. The only bad thing is I find the spider area a common place for both Empire and League to walk around (plus Misty Slope's power site), so it's not a good idea to grind with your flag up.
  • Turtles, Plants (lvl 23 - last resort): Surrounding the banshee area. Turtles were easy for me to take down, but grind on plants as a last resort due to their self-healing buff. It's still a good option if you want to grind safely with your flag up because I find that League rarely bother me in these areas.
  • White Tigers, Jungle Tigers (24 - best for this lvl): These die just as fast as spiders, but they're usually a level higher meaning you can get better exp. But like spiders, most of these spawn in areas where there is a lot of player activity. I died quite a few times grinding here (with my flag up). They cover a big range around the Thicket area.
  • Manticores, Hyenas (24-25): These are more often 26 than 25, but I found that I could still take them out pretty fast at 24. They hit very hard though (600 a hit on me), if your twin is down, so keep that in mind. Best area is around Scoss, especially to the southwest.
I have NOT tried grinding on lower level mobs to see if the xp per unit of time is faster. Mostly because I get bored of the same mob(s)/area after awhile and I really hate getting hit by mobs (I'm so squishy!) as well as running from one mob to another / wiping out the area before respawns. Perhaps someone else can test this out. :)

2 Responses so far.

  1. Fair warning, the turtles you mention have tons of armor, making them less attractive for melee types. The spiders are great targets, though as you mention that's a busy area for both sides. There are PvP-required quests for League right next door.

  2. Duet says:

    Same for Empire, misty slope has 2 pvp quests for us. :D

    And yeah, this guide is mainly for psi's since I'm unfamiliar with other classes vs these mobs. I'm sure melee have a much easier time vs, say, banshees, since melee won't have spell interruptions.

Leave a Reply