I am pretty much busy with finals and projects until mid next week... so I probably won't have time to really write anything long and meaningful like I have planned. I still do check up on the forums whenever I'm taking a break though. :D

The forums are a mess and I'm tired of going in there and trying to sort things out. I'm in no way affiliated to Gala-net, so any of my "defending" posts I make on the forums are my own thinking. I criticize when it needs to be done, but I defend when too many people are being unreasonable.. which, right now, too many people are. (I have been called a "suck up to the GMs" on the forums now, that's pretty cute - ad hominem attacks are always nice) Sometimes I wonder if I'm digging myself into a hole acting like this... I have been more or less rejected by the 2 big empire guilds on Tensess - but I'm going to wave that around like a trophy.

Quite frankly I am sick of how entitled a lot of people think they are. They are playing a *free* to play game, with the bought items not having a timer until you activate it... or some items like bags will stay with your character forever. Now if it was a subscription-based model, and the servers were crashing and glitchy for several days - I would probably join the masses of unhappy people.. because you know, you're actually wasting money the more days you go without playing. But this isn't the case with Allods. Why do people feel like not playing a game for 1 day is the end of the world? Some people should probably step away from their computers for awhile...

People who waste their items when they are fully aware of all the glitches only have themselves to blame. :P I will stand by this til the end of time, for whatever game I play. If it's broken, and you know its broken, don't try to use it like it's not broken! I can't tell if its because people are just dumb or if they are actually fishing for a way to complain more.

The immaturity is really high too. Is this because it is a free2play game? Aka more youngsters complaining because they don't need mom/dad's credit card to play? Or are they adults in disguise? With how long I've been on the internet, I could probably tell you it's both.

This isn't to say Gala-NET is free of blame. Because they retain so much information from the players, they really aren't helping the situation at all. While the forums exploded, I really couldn't help but wonder "where the heck are all the GMs?!" I think a lot of people still underestimate how important it is to keep things like that under check. Sure it might just be a lot of "chatter" as Chomp puts it, but that's not the point. The point is that the forums are one of the very few sources of information this game has, which means you'll probably have a lot of people reading them even if they aren't posting... who then can spread misinformation by word of mouth. I think anyone who has ever read anything about social media/marketing distribution will understand how devastating it can be if spread information is mostly negative.

I see that they made ingame announcements, and keep their facebook somewhat updated, but it's still no reason to ignore the forums. Actually I shouldn't say "ignore" because a lot of threads were locked and deleted... which raises even my own eyebrows. A few of the deleted/locked threads really weren't that bad, and it seems like some of the astral scholars are a bit delete-happy. I'm really not a big fan of deleting threads, because it usually shows one thing: that the company is afraid and/or can exercise their power. Now, obvious trolling threads should go out the window as fast as possible, but even negative threads can be turned around.

Typical GM responses have nothing to do with the patch, it's the generic "please be constructive" which really isn't what the majority of us want to hear. We just want to know is this intended or not? The worst thing to feel as a player is being ignored... which is what a lot of people probably feel (even if its not true). Allods doesn't have the convenience of running a PTR like WoW does, so this is probably the least they can do.

Basically, they need to think ahead and place damage-control measures before releasing something this glitchy. Even if its just 1 discussion thread where everyone posts the bugs they come across or 1 announcement that says "we're aware of these issues (include small list), and the ETA is....". It's really not up to the community to do these things for the game - everyone is pretty much left in the dark right now... I had to personally tweet at Chomp a few times to get some information to pass along to the forums about warden renew.

Now, I don't normally play F2P games because to me the customer support and development support has always felt sub-par, so my expectations from a F2P game are very very low. Not really sure what its like with other F2P games so... anyone can comment on their experiences with issues like this.

8 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Hey man you make a lot of good points. If you decide to roll a League char check out Revolution we would gladly welcome you.

  2. You are SO right.
    I feel exactly the same.
    Good post :thumbsup:.

  3. Duet says:

    Thanks for the comments, nice to know people are reading!

    I'm rolling league.... on Nezeb. :D

  4. Anonymous says:

    Awww you are killing me, Teness all the way. But yeah I think you provide a good insight to things beyond the chaos of the forums. I will keep reading and try to forget you are Empire and only trying League on Nezeb :P.

    Actually I might roll an Imp on Nezeb but its too tempting to get to know the guys that try to kill me all the time (Lockness, Cloww, Agony, Metzil).

  5. Duet says:

    Haha, maybe I'll roll league on Tensess then.. we'll see. :D I haven't gotten very far on Nezeb.

    Get to know or get revenge...? LOL

  6. Anonymous says:

    A little of column A a little of column B haha. Even though those guys are gankasaurusrexes I have a lot of respect for their protection of Imperial lowbies and their involvement on the forums. I just got to Eljune and I rushed to that place because I got tired of Viet Teph like you did haha. Although the pvp experience was fun not rage quit material.

    Main reason I suggested Teness is I don't know Nezeb very well but I know the guilds and people on Teness are very gravitating forces. Everybody knows the big Imperials in Asee (whether to avoid them or inspire to be them haha) and with the quitting of several major guilds (Arrogance barely gets an honorable mention b/c they have been a joke in every game I've seen them in) my guild is becoming a beacon for rising League players. I think the more people who become invested in this game and give gPot a chance to reason with AN to fix some of the other problems. I know other free games seem to be run by whoever is willing to pay for special items, but I feel like because guilds are the gateway to endgame content like raiding and the astral, guilds and their members are keeping this game alive. I could be wrong but I have started talking to people who realize that a lot is going on here to band together so we can make the best of everything. I think Allods can be the best F2P game out there if people will just stick with it.
    - Velkion (Summoner)

  7. Unknown says:

    Youngsters? Wth, don't even get that started, I already can't seem to find a good guild without adding a few years to my age. And as soon as anyone reads my blog, it'll be WHAMMO! Flames all around because of what I write.

    Anyway, I agree with you Velkion, Allods will be the best F2P game if they work at it and guilds are super important. Fact is, I only play this game because my RoM guild had a connection to an Allods guild.

  8. Duet says:

    I'll probably wait til I hit 40 before starting on my alt. :3

    And lol I don't find the age restrictions on the guilds too bad, but I do find that regardless, there will still be immature players who feel need to type in chatspeak. A better way to gauge the quality of players you get is previous exp with mmos/guilds, their achievements, and their personality (through a trial-period).

Leave a Reply